Posts for tag: Braces
A misaligned bite can affect your appearance and your oral health. Fortunately, the orthodontic treatment offered by your Rosamond, Lancaster, East Palmdale, and West Palmdale, CA, orthodontists at Pacific Dental Care will improve the alignment of your bite.
Common types of misaligned bites
Your bite is the way your upper and lower teeth come together. If the teeth don't fit together properly, you have a bite problem. Bite problems can cause a variety of issues, including:
- Lower self-esteem
- Difficulty chewing or speaking clearly
- Cuts to your tongue, cheeks, or lips from misaligned teeth
- Tooth damage
- Teeth grinding
- Temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMD)
Bite problems include:
- Overbite: Your upper teeth protrude over your lower teeth if you have an overbite.
- Underbite: The opposite problem occurs with an underbite. The lower teeth extend beyond the upper teeth.
- Upper Front Teeth Protrusion: Commonly called "buck teeth," this bite problem causes the front teeth to stick out.
- Open Bite: If you have an anterior open bite, your back teeth don't meet when you close your mouth. In a posterior open bite, the front teeth don't meet.
- Crossbite: Crossbites also cause misalignments. An anterior crossbite happens when your lower teeth are behind your upper teeth, while a posterior crossbite causes the upper teeth to fit behind your lower teeth when you bring your teeth together.
Crowding or spaces between teeth can also affect the alignment and appearance of your teeth.
How orthodontic treatment can improve your bite problem
If you're diagnosed with a bite problem during your visit to the Rosamond, Lancaster, East and West Palmdale, CA, dental office, your orthodontist may suggest orthodontic treatment to gradually realign your bite. During your treatment, you'll wear braces or aligner trays that will exert pressure on your teeth, which will slowly change their alignment. Treatment options include:
- Metal Braces: These braces consist of metal wires threaded through brackets cemented onto the teeth.
- Ceramic Braces: Ceramic braces use clear or tooth-colored brackets and wires instead of metal wires and brackets.
- Lingual Braces: Lingual braces are placed on the backsides of teeth.
- Invisalign: These clear, removable trays are placed over the teeth and offer a more subtle straightening experience.
Do you have a bite problem? Call your orthodontists in East or West Palmdale, Rosamond, and Lancaster, CA, to schedule a visit. The offices of Pacific Dental Care can be reached by calling these numbers:
(661) 256-2500 (Rosamond)
(661) 267-5700 (West Palmdale)
(661) 948-8187 (Lancaster)
(661) 285-8600 (East Palmdale)
Braces offered by your Palmdale, Rosamond and Lancaster, CA, orthodontist at Pacific Dental Care improve your child's appearance and address oral health and developmental issues. Although the best time for orthodontic treatment varies from child to child, you may notice a few signs that it's time to consider braces.
How can I tell if my child needs braces?
Your child may benefit from orthodontic treatment if:
- They Feel Self-Conscious: Improving the alignment of crooked or crowded teeth or eliminating gaps with orthodontic treatment can improve your child's appearance and self-esteem.
- Cavities Are a Common Occurrence: It's difficult to remove cavity-causing plaque when your teeth overlap. Straightening teeth with braces makes brushing and flossing easier and may help prevent tooth decay.
- Eating Is Difficult Due to Orthodontic Issues: The upper and lower teeth must fit together perfectly for chewing, biting and tearing foods. If your child has a bite problem, chewing may be a challenge. Although overbites, underbites, crossbites or open bites are often obvious, even seemingly minor bite problems can affect your child's ability to chew.
- Orthodontic Issues Affect Your Child's Speech: If your child's teeth aren't properly aligned, it may be difficult to pronounce certain words or sounds. Improving alignment with braces may also help your son or daughter speak more clearly.
- Tooth or Gum Damage Has Occurred: Bite problems can cause lacerations in your child's mouth or gums, wear down or break teeth, or be a factor in gum disease. Orthodontic treatment not only correct tooth alignment issues but also offers oral health advantages.
- Issues with Baby Teeth: If your child lost baby teeth earlier or later than normal, he or she may need braces to ensure that the permanent teeth erupt normally.
Some issues can be detected as early as age 7 when the first orthodontic visit is recommended. In some cases, phased orthodontic treatment may begin then, but often, treatment won't be needed until your child is between the age of 9 and 14.
Are you ready to schedule a visit with our orthodontist at Pacific Dental Care for your son or daughter? Schedule an appointment by calling (661) 267-5700 for the W. Palmdale, CA, office, (661) 285-8600 for the E. Palmdale, office, (661) 256-2500 for the Rosamond office, or (661) 948-8187 for the Lancaster office.
How braces from your dentists in Palmdale, California can make your smile healthier.
Everyone knows a straight smile is more attractive, but did you know that straightening your smile can also make it healthier? It’s true! In fact, a straight smile does a lot to improve your oral, and your general health.
The dentists and specialists at Pacific Dental Care offer a wide variety of orthodontic options to give you a straight, beautiful, healthy smile. They have several convenient office locations in West Palmdale, East Palmdale, Lancaster, and Rosamond, California to help you and your smile.
One of the most important advantages of straightening your smile is that straight teeth are easier to keep clean, It’s easier to brush and especially to floss.
When your teeth are straight and come together in a proper bite, it decreases potential damage to your teeth. Both your teeth and your jaws experience less stress. It also decreases the chance of damage to your temporomandibular joint, also known as the TMJ. TMJ problems can lead to headaches, earaches, facial pain, and many other unpleasant conditions.
Modern orthodontic treatment isn’t just for teenagers. Adults can greatly benefit from orthodontic treatment too. At Pacific Dental Care, you can choose from a variety of braces, including:
- Conventional metal braces, which are the original type of braces
- Ceramic braces, which are tooth-colored brackets and clear wires
- Lingual braces, which are cemented onto the back surfaces of teeth
You can also choose clear aligners, which are the most discreet of all orthodontic treatments. They also offer the convenience of being able to remove them when you eat, and when you brush and floss, so it’s easy to keep your smile healthy.
A straight smile is healthier and more attractive too. To find out more about how braces can help your oral health, talk with the experts. Call the dentists and specialists of Pacific Dental Care, at their office in West Palmdale at (661) 267-5700, East Palmdale at (661) 285-8600, Rosamond at (661) 256-2500, or Lancaster, California at (661) 948-8187. Call today.
Have you ever wondered how braces realign your teeth? Whether you have crooked teeth, large spaces between teeth, or a bite problem, your Pacific Dental Care orthodontists offer braces that can improve your smile! Read on to learn how their offices in Rosamond, Lancaster, West Palmdale, and East Palmdale, CA, can improve your alignment!
Pressure is the key
The roots of your teeth are connected to your jawbone with fibrous connective tissues called periodontal ligaments. The ligaments have a little give to them, which allows your teeth to gradually reposition themselves if they receive constant pressure from braces.
If you choose metal or ceramic braces, your orthodontists in Rosamond, Lancaster, West Palmdale or East Palmdale will attach brackets to your teeth with dental cement before threading metal wires through them. You'll then visit the office approximately every four to six weeks for adjustments to the tension of the wires.
Lingual braces, which are attached to the backs of teeth, also use the wire and bracket method.
Clear aligner trays, the newest orthodontic option, use a different approach. With this treatment, you will receive a series of aligner trays, each of which will be worn for about two weeks. No adjustments are needed with clear aligners. Your trays exert constant, gentle pressure on your teeth and are designed to accomplish specific straightening goals. Additionally, unlike metal and ceramic braces, you can remove your clear aligners when you eat, brush and floss, or play sports. However, the trays must still be worn for 20 to 22 hours per day.
Interested in treatment? Give us a call!
Schedule an appointment with your Pacific Dental Care orthodontist by calling (661) 256-2500 for the Rosamond, CA, office, (661) 267-5700 for the West Palmdale, CA, office, (661) 948-8187 for the Lancaster office, or (661) 285-8600 for the East Palmdale, CA, office.
Find out the most effective way to get the straighter smile you’ve always wanted.
If you are dealing with a crooked or misaligned smile, then you already know that getting braces could improve both your appearance and your oral health. That being said, there are so many different kinds of braces on the market today that it can often be difficult to decide which type is right for you—this is where our Palmdale, CA, dentists can help.
When you think about braces, chances are you that you're picturing traditional metal bracket-and-wire braces. Of course, don’t let this classic look fool you; metal braces have changed a lot over the years. They are now lightweight and sleeker than ever before, making them more comfortable to wear.
Those who are looking to correct more complex alignment issues, need jaw realignment, or are looking for a more budget-friendly orthodontic treatment are all ideal candidates for traditional metal braces.
Ceramic braces function and look just like traditional braces, but the key difference is that the brackets are made from a clear ceramic making them less visible. As you might imagine, ceramic braces allow patients who require traditional braces to be able to have a more discreet and aesthetically pleasing option.
Of course, it’s important that the wearer is dedicated to maintaining good oral hygiene, as the elastics can become discolored if you don’t thoroughly brush and floss on a regular basis.
Again, if our Palmdale, CA, general dentist has determined that the most effective approach to a straighter smile will be with traditional braces you may also want to weigh the pros and cons of lingual braces. They function just like traditional metal braces, but instead of being bonded to the front of the teeth, they are actually adhered to the back for complete discretion.
Of course, lingual braces aren’t ideal for all patients. Those who play certain instruments or sports, as well as those with underbites may not be good candidates for lingual braces.
This orthodontic option is popular for older teens and adults who want to fix their misaligned smiles but with a subtler approach. Clear aligner systems such as Invisalign make it possible to fix everything from overbites and underbites to gaps between teeth and overcrowding through the use of transparent, plastic aligners rather than brackets and wires. Aligners are also removable so you can brush, floss, and eat the way you normally would even without braces.
Do you have questions about the type of braces that would be ideal for your smile needs? Want to find out if your smile could benefit from orthodontic treatment? If so, call Pacific Dental Care today. We offer comprehensive dentistry to Palmdale, Rosamond, and Lancaster, CA.
West Palmdale, CA, (661) 267-5700; East Palmdale, CA, (661) 285-8600; Rosamond, CA, (661) 256-2500; Lancaster, CA, (661) 948-8187.