Braces offered by your Palmdale, Rosamond and Lancaster, CA, orthodontist at Pacific Dental Care improve your child's appearance and address oral health and developmental issues. Although the best time for orthodontic treatment varies from child to child, you may notice a few signs that it's time to consider braces.
How can I tell if my child needs braces?
Your child may benefit from orthodontic treatment if:
- They Feel Self-Conscious: Improving the alignment of crooked or crowded teeth or eliminating gaps with orthodontic treatment can improve your child's appearance and self-esteem.
- Cavities Are a Common Occurrence: It's difficult to remove cavity-causing plaque when your teeth overlap. Straightening teeth with braces makes brushing and flossing easier and may help prevent tooth decay.
- Eating Is Difficult Due to Orthodontic Issues: The upper and lower teeth must fit together perfectly for chewing, biting and tearing foods. If your child has a bite problem, chewing may be a challenge. Although overbites, underbites, crossbites or open bites are often obvious, even seemingly minor bite problems can affect your child's ability to chew.
- Orthodontic Issues Affect Your Child's Speech: If your child's teeth aren't properly aligned, it may be difficult to pronounce certain words or sounds. Improving alignment with braces may also help your son or daughter speak more clearly.
- Tooth or Gum Damage Has Occurred: Bite problems can cause lacerations in your child's mouth or gums, wear down or break teeth, or be a factor in gum disease. Orthodontic treatment not only correct tooth alignment issues but also offers oral health advantages.
- Issues with Baby Teeth: If your child lost baby teeth earlier or later than normal, he or she may need braces to ensure that the permanent teeth erupt normally.
Some issues can be detected as early as age 7 when the first orthodontic visit is recommended. In some cases, phased orthodontic treatment may begin then, but often, treatment won't be needed until your child is between the age of 9 and 14.
Are you ready to schedule a visit with our orthodontist at Pacific Dental Care for your son or daughter? Schedule an appointment by calling (661) 267-5700 for the W. Palmdale, CA, office, (661) 285-8600 for the E. Palmdale, office, (661) 256-2500 for the Rosamond office, or (661) 948-8187 for the Lancaster office.