Posts for tag: Invisalign
A misaligned bite can affect your appearance and your oral health. Fortunately, the orthodontic treatment offered by your Rosamond, Lancaster, East Palmdale, and West Palmdale, CA, orthodontists at Pacific Dental Care will improve the alignment of your bite.
Common types of misaligned bites
Your bite is the way your upper and lower teeth come together. If the teeth don't fit together properly, you have a bite problem. Bite problems can cause a variety of issues, including:
- Lower self-esteem
- Difficulty chewing or speaking clearly
- Cuts to your tongue, cheeks, or lips from misaligned teeth
- Tooth damage
- Teeth grinding
- Temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMD)
Bite problems include:
- Overbite: Your upper teeth protrude over your lower teeth if you have an overbite.
- Underbite: The opposite problem occurs with an underbite. The lower teeth extend beyond the upper teeth.
- Upper Front Teeth Protrusion: Commonly called "buck teeth," this bite problem causes the front teeth to stick out.
- Open Bite: If you have an anterior open bite, your back teeth don't meet when you close your mouth. In a posterior open bite, the front teeth don't meet.
- Crossbite: Crossbites also cause misalignments. An anterior crossbite happens when your lower teeth are behind your upper teeth, while a posterior crossbite causes the upper teeth to fit behind your lower teeth when you bring your teeth together.
Crowding or spaces between teeth can also affect the alignment and appearance of your teeth.
How orthodontic treatment can improve your bite problem
If you're diagnosed with a bite problem during your visit to the Rosamond, Lancaster, East and West Palmdale, CA, dental office, your orthodontist may suggest orthodontic treatment to gradually realign your bite. During your treatment, you'll wear braces or aligner trays that will exert pressure on your teeth, which will slowly change their alignment. Treatment options include:
- Metal Braces: These braces consist of metal wires threaded through brackets cemented onto the teeth.
- Ceramic Braces: Ceramic braces use clear or tooth-colored brackets and wires instead of metal wires and brackets.
- Lingual Braces: Lingual braces are placed on the backsides of teeth.
- Invisalign: These clear, removable trays are placed over the teeth and offer a more subtle straightening experience.
Do you have a bite problem? Call your orthodontists in East or West Palmdale, Rosamond, and Lancaster, CA, to schedule a visit. The offices of Pacific Dental Care can be reached by calling these numbers:
(661) 256-2500 (Rosamond)
(661) 267-5700 (West Palmdale)
(661) 948-8187 (Lancaster)
(661) 285-8600 (East Palmdale)